Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

China Earthquake

As soon as I got to the office, I read the email from our missionary friends Gary and Danita. They said that China had a major earthquake and they were fine. I looked up the news and there it was: 7.8 earthquake in central China Sichuan Province! That was right where Hongyu and Olivia's hometown. About 20000 people were buried in the collapsed buildings. 12000 confirmed dead! On a Chinese website, it posted a picture of the Chinese Premier holding a pair of children's shoes in hand with tears in his eyes, he commanded the Chinese army "to search for every life." The bridges and roads were destroyed. The heavy rain added the desaster. Many places could only be accessed by foot. Airplanes began to drop the tents, food, water where the life were possible existing. The new bridges were built with the fastest speed. People lined up to donate blood. The parents began to search their only child with a flashlight ... My tears came out; my heart went out to those families with only one child. At one middle school, 900 students (18 classes) were buried. At one plant, hundreds of workers were buried.

David sent emails to Hongyu and Olivia. Hongyu was angry. David tried to comfort him. As the tears still in my eyes, I saw millions of people offering their helping hands; I saw the families that used to pursue money, power, and material things realizing that there was something more valuable than those; I saw the Rich Fools losing what they accumulated in one second; I saw students searching for the real purpose of life; I saw a Father with a heavy heart ... A time like this helps people to redefine what's really important and how we shall live. Dear Heavenly Father, I pray that your light will shine through the dark clouds before men. Please send your angels and wrap your arm around those who were affected by the earthquake. Please offer them hope and strength to sustain the difficulties. And most of all, please send the message that there is a valuable gift, a far more valuable than their earthly life, awaiting for them to unwrap!

David and I read the first chapter of the book "Raising the kids of true greatness". The main point is that parents should have a clear goal of what kinds of kids they want to bring up. The true greatness is to be a godly servant. What the world would be if every parent raises their kids to be godly servants?! A thousand steps start from the first step. We are about to raise our legs for the first step ... By the way, today marked the end of the first trimester! I felt so much better than before. It's amazing!

No comments: