Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Visa and Farm

David and I ran some errands during the weekend. Then we went to a lady's house to buy a Pack N Play. I love buying things from people's house because I'll have chance to interacting with those moms. This time, the mom happened to be an Ukraine lady. When she heard that David went to Ukraine six or seven times, she invited us to sit down and look at her albums. We had a great conversation with her and her husband (who is a German). In the end, when we paid for the Pack N Play, she lowered the price from $35 to $20! We were blessed!

This week, I've been busy with preparing the document for my parents to apply for the visa. It's difficult for an American to imagine how much document I and my parents need to prepare for the visa interview. Here is a list of things I need to provide:

FOLDER #1 Letters
① Letter from Inviter to Visa Officer
② Letter from Inviter to Invitee
③ I-134 Form/ I-134

FOLDER #2 Supporting Materials
① Photocopy of Passport
② Photocopy of Visas
③ Photocopy of I-94
④ Photocopy of Travel Document and Employment Authorization Card
⑤ Photocopy of Offer Letter
⑥ Letter of Employment Verification
⑦ Proof of Finances:(a)Certificate of Bank Deposit(b)Photocopies of Bank Statements (c)Photocopies of Paycheck (d)Photocopy of W-2
⑧ Photocopies of Social Security Number, Driver’s License, Faculty/StaffID, and Health Insurance Card/
⑨ Photocopy of Spouse's Passport, Driver’s License, etc.

Here is a list of things that my parents need to provide:

FOLDER #3 Supporting Materials from the parents
①Passports
②DS-156 and DS-157 Forms
③Receipts of Visa Application Fee
④Residence Booklet and I.D. Cards (2)
⑤Proof of Finances (a)Real Estate Certification Titles (b)Certificate of Deposits and Saving Booklets (c)Bank Booklets of Retirement Pension
⑥Certifications of Retirement (2)
⑦Health Insurance Cards (2)
⑧ Marriage Certificate and Birth Certificate
⑨Certification of Employment and Health Insurance Card of other Children

FOLDER #4 Photos:

① Family Photos at different times
② Photos of Inviter’s Family in U.S.
③ Inviter’s Photos (Growing up)
④ Invitee’s other Photos (sightseeing, everyday live, etc.)

It's time consuming to collect all these documents. But thinking that my parents will be able to come here soon, I feel like the preparation is just a flash! I had the agenda in my mind already: that my parents finish the farm work by the middle of October; that they go to Beijing and apply for the visa in the end of October; that they get on the plane and fly here during the first week of November. But when I talked to my brother on the phone this morning, he told me that my parents may not be able to finish the farm work by the end of October. I was disappointed: the plan may fall apart! I'm sure my brother sensed my disappointment. After I finished the call, I immediately felt guilty and sorry for my disappointment. I was selfish to only think about myself. Think about my parents who had to work on the farm even in their 60s: what a physical demand they are facing right now, trying to sell all the grapes, put the left over in the ice unit, then bury all the grape vines under the ground. They are trying to finish all these in one month! Otherwise, the grape vines will be frozen to death and all their work in several decades will diminish! I can feel the worries my parents are facing and I can see the dilemma they are in. The difficulties of the farmers life in China is even beyond my comprehension. How could I push them to be here and add more stress on their shoulder?! I wanted to call them right away to tell them to take their time and I'll be fine even they can't come before Emily arrives. But it's night time in China now; and there's no phone in the farm ... I'll remember to call them tonight!

Here are a few old photos from my parents farm:


2 comments:

Lori said...

My goodness at the amount of paperwork and you are a very thoughtful daughter to think so much about your parent's circumstances. We'll pray they come when they can.

Eileen said...

Wendy, Hello! This is my first visit to your blog and it's a great way to catch up on the latest about you and David.

Interesting (exhausting, actually) to read the requirements for your parents' visa to come to the US. That visa would be for how long of a time? Just wondering... (3-5 years looking at the list of requirements!)

Bless you, Eileen

PS: Remind me, when do you expect Miss Emily to arrive?