Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, June 22, 2009

Happy Father's Day

For some reason, I’m more excited about Father’s Day than Mother’s Day. I looked forward to seeing the smiles on David’s face when I sang “Happy Father’s Day”; I anticipated the pride and contentment that rose up as we dedicate one day to him as a father; I dreamt about the joy and happiness that swept away all the tiredness and worries in the early fatherhood; I couldn’t wait to tell him what a wonderful father he is … Emily is lucky to have such a loving dad and I’m blessed to have such a great husband to be my child’s father and our spiritual leader. My sweetheart deserves all the compliment a father could ever receive. Happy Father's Day!

Dad was so kind to offer driving down during the weekend for Father’s Day. After spending a day with Amy and Kendall at Austin, he spent Saturday with us. We went to a BBQ place (Hutchin's) that David wanted to take Dad to experience. It’s in the old town of McKinney. The atmosphere was very unique – barn style arrangement with pans and pots hanging around the lights. Emily was busy looking around while we were mooching in the delicious ribs and sandwiches. I was embarrassed to say that I had two bowls of peach cobbler with icecreams. David joked that we were a perfect match since I ate all the fruit and he liked all the crusts. Here is a picture we took outside the restaurant:




Sunday morning I made blue-berry pancakes with fresh blue-berry jelly for breakfast. David said he wished everyday was a Father’s Day – I realized the area that I definitely needed to improve: making good breakfast on a normal day. I haven’t done that ever since I was pregnant. A delicious breakfast often gave in to the sleep that I craved for. Cereal, fruit, yogurt have been our breakFAST. It’s time to invite other food back to our regular menu. After breakfast, we opened gifts for Dad and David. Since Emily was too young to write, I managed to hold her hand to sign her name on the Father's Day card we made for David. She was so cooperative and her handwriting was much better than I expected. Here is the card:



(Front cover:

F.A.T.H.E.R.S.
"F" aithful.
"A" lways there.
"T" rustworthy.
"H" onoring.
"E" ver-loving.
"R" ighteous.
"S" upportive.

Inside:

God took the strength of a mountain,
The majesty of a tree,
The warmth of a summer sun,
The calm of a quiet sea,
The generous soul of nature,
The comforting arm of night,
The wisdom of the ages,
The power of the eagle's flight,
The joy of a morning in spring,
The faith of a mustard seed,
The patience of eternity,
The depth of a family need,
Then God combined these qualities,
When there was nothing more to add,
He knew His masterpiece was complete,
And so, He called it ... Dad)

Sunday afternoon Owana invited us to lunch at her house with her Chinese reader. It’s been a year since we saw Owana after Bill passed away. We were so glad that she came out of the pain (seemingly) and she is reaching out to others as she and Bill used to do. Occasionally she wiped the corners of her eyes - it's impossible for her not to think of Bill when she saw us. But most of the time we were talking and laughing. Emily took a nap at Owana's back bedroom. Here are pictures of Owana holding Emily:


It’s been very hot these days. But we have so many errands to run during the weekend. Emily did so well getting in and out of the heat several times a day. She sat in the shopping cart or high chair like an elegant princess. She had such a good disposition that wherever she went, people were always attracted to her. She is still having some degree of the stranger anxiety. David takes her for a morning walk on the trail every day. Hopefully she will completely get over the anxiety soon.

Here is a Father's Day prayer for all the fathers:

Dear Heavenly Father, I ask you to bless all the fathers in the world. Strengthened them as Christian fathers and multiply their influence on this earth. Guide them to be good role models and loving to all their children. Help them to be a father like You are. Let the example of their faith and love shine forth. And help us to honor them always with a spirit of profound respect. I pray in Jesus' name, Amen!

Here is The Strongest Father video (I posted it before but worth reposting): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLUPiAs20i4

http://www.cjcphoto.com/can/

No comments: